Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Elemental Staves +3 & Life


I finished these a couple days ago. They turned out ok.
These days it is becoming more apparent that I need to make preview videos for my dats as opposed to just preview pictures like the old days.
Times are changing I guess.

I remember back in the day when FFXIDats.com was open there was a running joke that all the requests were so ridiculous that they amounted to something along the lines of
"I want to look like Sephiroth with a cape and a giant sword, but I want the sword to be on fire, but not all the time, only in jeuno" and it went on and on.

I always thought it would be pretty funny if I could one day make that request since all of that, at the time, was in the realm of impossible.

And indeed, back then, even these staves would have been "Impossible". These use Effect weights SquareEnix has added to the game recently, so circa 2008 I would have had to edit the skeleton files to get it to work (And back then I was top of my game just knowing how to VRS).


It is fun to look back though. A little known fact is that my first ever post about Hex editing was on competing website "ffximc.com" under the surname Elfkin (Which was my Taru name back before the word "Moosh" was explained to me).

Someone had asked about the GM glows on the sword and shield. I provided some insight but looking back at the post now I was pretty wrong on all the wording I used. :p (Although, to my own credit, I was right how it worked!)

But I know a lot now. Probably more than I should. But Im ok with that. It might be in the grand scheme of life wasted knowledge, but for me, right now, its not. Making things for the FFXI community has always made me happy. I see people citing me as "The best modder" which I guess technically (and I mean in the technical sense of modding) I am, but there are tons of modders better than me when it comes to model creating etc.

But im just happy making people happy, no matter how small or large. Knowing that I might not be on your server, yet my presence is still there and it makes your game /better/ for you fills me with a sense of happiness I guess.

Outside of modding and FFXI I live a fairly insignificant life, around insignificant people in the middle of Oklahoma. Being able to reach out to hundreds of people around the world is just awesome, and the fact that a majority of you 'like' or 'respect' what I do is completely amazing.

But I love making things. I think my biggest dream in life would be to make a loot whore game, where there are tons of weapons and equipment. Like Phantasy Star Online (only with lots of armor too). I've always respected PSO and what it does because it isnt afraid to put in crazy shit like flying pizza weapons or marshmallow swords.

Seeing people post that SquareEnix should hire me gives me hope that someday I'll be able to work on something. That would be really awesome.

Oh and I had recently applied to be a Community Rep for FFXI and FFXIV but they pretty much instantly sent a rejection email :\ Im sure although they say knowing Japanese isnt a required skill for the job its probably a large factor in who they choose.

I dunno. I'll keep trying for something, and maybe someday I'll be able to be an 'official' part of Final Fantasy. But until then I'll keep 'unofficially' doing my best to keep the game interesting.

1 comment:

  1. These are amazing!!! I am a big fan of all of your work, you are extremely talented. Where can people find all of the dats you've made? I know you have way more than you feature here. Keep up the awesome work!! -Azarynn, Phoenix

    ReplyDelete